Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Indefensible

This is why Rick Esenberg, brilliant though he may be as a lawyer and writer, saddens me because he has become such an apologist for the indefensible – be it WMC, George Bush, Sarah Palin, the Iraq War or right-wing talk radio – namely Charlie Sykes and his caddy, Jeff Wagner. This paragraph written by Esenberg is a good example of his fall from grace.

I understand that Belling's schtick is outrage, but Sykes and Wagner are hardly breathing fire. We have embarrassments like G. Gordon Liddy and Michael Savage. The left has Randi Rhodes and Keith Olbermann.
Keith Olbermann?

I can understand that Esenberg doesn't like Olbermann. He doesn't back down from the fight. And he doesn't apologize. He also calls it as he sees it, regardless from the left or right. And, whereas most of the media personalities are too afraid to take on the GOP machine, Olbermann relishes the fight. I'll agree that his “Worst Person” series is not always the most mature, but it's hardly fire-breathing. Comparing him to Liddy and Savage? That's just nonsense.

The Brew City Brawler has already covered Sykes and his inane shenanigans. And Wagner is not worth the time. But neither is in Olbermann's league as far as providing serious commentary from the heart. This video by Olberman (below) says volumes about the man. He claims not to have had a vested interest in whether Proposition 8 passed or not. Yet, he defends those who want only what others already have, the right to marry.

I have a vested interest because I have a brother who is gay. He is the kindest person I know. His partner passed away about six months ago and while I don't ever remember hearing any talk about taking that next step in their relationship, I wonder if they would have if it had been legally available.



I've never heard Sykes or Wagner come close to this in eloquence. They're both second-tier squawkers who if they had hearts might actually have a heart. Esenberg defends their dreck, their lies. That's indefensible.

h/t Emily Mills at The Lost Albatross

2 comments:

  1. If anything Olberman crosses the line into Comedy not "fire-breathing".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with Dave. He is an excellent orator. MSNBC is definitely my place for politics.

    ReplyDelete