Sunday, April 17, 2011

Teabagger Racists

via Motley Cow and Crooks and Liars ...

Those wacky Republican Teabaggers. Marilyn Davenport, a Southern California Tea Party activist thought it funny to pass on a picture of a family of chimps with President Obama's face superimposed over the baby chimp.

Davenport had this to say when contacted by phone, "Oh, come on! Everybody who knows me knows that I am not a racist. It was a joke. I have friends who are black. Besides, I only sent it to a few people--mostly people I didn't think would be upset with it."

Revealing. I like the line about sending it only to a few friends who wouldn't probably be upset. Presumably the racist friends.

A GOP official contacted by Crooks and Liars said it was unbelievable the email was passed along. "It's much more racist than the watermelon email," the official said.

Watermelon email?

Oh yeah, I remember that. It occurred not too long ago in our little SE Wisconsin backyard. Remember this?

"Got my stimulus package in the mail today. It contained watermelon seeds, cornbread mix, and ten coupons to KFC."

You're right. It was good old Fred Dooley, author of the humorously named blog Real Debate who was the guilty party. He passed that on and fortunately for us, Dan Bice of the Journal Sentinel caught his faux pas.

Dooley had this to say when contacted by Bice for comment. He explained he had recently had gall bladder surgery. "In that state I didn't notice any racial connotations. I'm from the deep South and to me that's not a racial thing, it is a Southern thing. If I had not been under the effects of anesthesia I would have likely noticed that could have been taken the wrong way and would have passed on it."

Really?

Dooley's explanation sounds suspiciously like Davenport's. Must be in the Teabagger Manual for dealing with the media when their racist underpinnings are exposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment