Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pork Loin and Sauerkraut

My wife's side of the family is mostly Irish. The Rock side is classic American mutt ... a dash here and there from almost everywhere in Europe according to research my Dad has done.

However, when cooking it's my German side that most often makes an appearance -- in this recent instance a craving for sauerkraut and pork occurring while visiting the local Pick 'n Save. I saw the sale price for the boneless pork loin (with packages of sauerkraut conspicuously placed nearby -- ah the power of suggestion) and I was hooked.

I had to hurry. It was nearly 10:30 am. I knew I was going to use the slow cooker to cook the pork and wanted at least seven to eight hours. So, I quickly gathered the following ingredients.

3-4 pound boneless pork loin
1/2 cup of flour
2 tbls of vegetable oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 tbls of minced garlic
5-6 red potatoes, cutup
package of sauerkraut
1/2 to 1 cup apple juice
pepper and salt
1. Add oil to a frying pan. Roll the pork loin in the flour and brown all sides of the pork, about ten minutes.

2. Slice the onion and cover the bottom of the slow cooker. Add garlic on top of onion.

3. Place the pork loin on top.

4. Cut up 5-6 red potatoes and place strategically around the pork. (I've always wanted to use the word strategically in a recipe.)

5. Salt and pepper to taste.

6. Add sauerkraut on top and pour apple juice all around.

7. Let it slow cook about seven to eight hours.

Mmmm good. Unfortunately, I discovered at dinner that no one in my immediate family (wife, 13, 8 and two-year old) likes sauerkraut -- the dog did. Everyone agreed the pork and taters were tasty, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment